<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Everybody Loves Tolkien!


Reading constantly is a habit that sadly was only recently acquired in the last couple of years (Marriage rules!). At the present I am reading a bit of sci-fi by Orson Scott Card, Ender’s Shadow. This has turned out to be an excellent follow up to his classic Ender’s Game. I just finished a new edition of Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, which has ¼ of the original French edition restored. Slowly, but surely I am getting through Mountain of Silence. Another great read, but I have been too distracted with Ender. Finally, I am devouring a fantastic biography J.R.R. Tolkien, Architect of Middle Earth, by Daniel Grotta-Kurska. Obviously, written in the 70’s complete with psychedelic caricature of “Tolk” adorning the cover (I have a strange predilection for anything from the 70’s…pray for me). Anyway, as I’ve mentioned the book is great and I’ve decided to share a bit of Tolkien’s humor that truly caught me off guard. Tolkien wrote this to one of his classmates while at Oxford:

A young man wished to purchase a birthday gift for a lady friend. After much meditation and consideration he decided upon a pair of gloves as being appropriate. As his sister had some shopping to do, he accompanied her to a ladies wearing apparel shop. While he was selecting the gloves, his sister made a purchase of a pair of drawers for herself. In delivering the parcels that afternoon, by mistake the drawers were left at his sweetheart’s door with a note as follows:--

Dear Velma:--This little token is to remind you that I haven’t forgotten your birthday. I didn’t choose it because I thought you needed them, or because you hadn’t been in the habit of wearing them, or because we go out evenings. Had it not been for my sister I would have gotten long ones but she says they are wearing the short ones—with one button. They are a very delicate color, I know, but the lady clerk showed me a pair she had worn for three weeks, and they were scarcely soiled at all. How I wish I might put them on you for the first time! No doubt many other gentlemen’s hands will touch them before I get a chance to see you again, but I hope you will think of me every time you put them on. I had the lady clerk try them on and they looked very neat on her. I did not know the exact size, but I should be capable of judging nearer than anyone else. When you put them on for the first time put a little powder in them and they will slip on easier. When you remove them blow in them before laying them away, as they will naturally be a little damp from wearing. Hoping that you will accept them in the same spirit in which they are given and that you will wear them to the dance Friday night, I remain,

Lovingly yours:--
John

P.S. Note the number of times I will kiss the back of them in the coming year!
John

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?