<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 07, 2003

The Dormition of the Theotokos

Okay, this is the fifth time I’ve tried to say this without writing a book. The Dormition Fast brings back great memories of struggle with the teaching and tradition of the Church. Just when I thought I had begun to have peace and gain understanding in regard to the Theotokos…WHAM...a hearty helping of tradition that at the time seemed very contrived. All of that ranting to say I am growing more and more to love the Theotokos as I’d never thought possible. Not that I understand it beyond she is the mother of Christ our God and our greatest intercessor, but isn’t that amazing enough!

A peaceful Dormition Fast to all.

Extra Credit* One book that really challenged me, ground on me and in general made me uncomfortable, but ultimately helped me greatly was Mary the Birthgiver of God by St. John Maximovich. Another significant help was a pamphlet from St. Athanasius Academy written by Fr. Alexander Schmemman. Unfortunately, it appears to be out of print. Perhaps they’ll give me permission to post it here.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?