<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Basil don’t ya go, do ya go to La Jolla…

Okay, so last night was the first time since his birth that Basil has kept me up. There wasn’t anything wrong, he wasn’t crying, he wasn’t hungry, but he wasn’t tired either. He was simply wide-awake with no signs of fatigue to be found. He is so beautiful and sweet that it really didn’t bother me. Heck, walking around the house singing made up lullabies is a good time for introspection and generally reflective thought. Seriously, it was amazing how different parts of my house sparked distinctive reflections. It was almost like an automated museum tour.

There I stood before our icon corner and pondered my path as Husband, father and friend. I thought of the immensity of these roles. As the brevity of life manifested more potently I thought, “Why in hell are you wasting your time with sin…get over it!” My thoughts passed to my last confession and Fr. Wayne’s gracious and wise advice, “You’re going through a major transition and this is effecting your liturgical rhythm so to speak, just try and settle down.” My thoughts drifted to fears of raising Basil into a godly and holy man. “Lord, please give me the strength to do this right.” I passed into the kitchen and my thoughts must have seemed pathetic to St. Euphrosynos as he hung patiently on the refrigerator. “Why did we make oatmeal raisin cookies instead of chocolate chip?” Finally, Basil had conked out. I walked back to the bedroom and stood silently watching my wife sleep in the soft warm light. She is beautiful and amazing to me. I can’t fathom how it was I convinced her to marry me. I am humbled and happy as I slip back into bed with my family. How blessed I am.

Now at work I’m realizing just how tired I am. What a trade off though!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?