<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Smells like…

Last night at Vespers Fr. poured the incense on with caution thrown to the wind. It was different incense than the usual “cedar of Lebanon” variety that is common at St. Barnabas. Indeed, the smell was more like the full, perfume fragrant taste of a fantastic IPA. So much was this the case that I could taste the smell, if you catch my meaning. It was beautiful and despite my usual tired, spacey headedness I was drawn in and stirred with clarity. It was one of those moments where you feel thankfulness rushing through your bones, right down to the marrow.

As I stood praying and feeling quite caught up, I wondered as I’ve heard wondered about elsewhere in the blogosphere, “This is very beautiful, and I feel great reverence and connectedness, but is this any measure of something significant occurring?” I must admit I am curious to hear answers to this. However, my initial thought is, “Yes, experiences of this nature are significant in that they refresh and are carried with the worshipper as a sort of residue and reminder that Christ is merciful.”

It seems slightly insane that a notably delicious malt beverage could play such a role in grace.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?