<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 29, 2004

Ten Things That Drew Me to Orthodoxy:
10) Orthodoxy: A faith that one can be consumed by. Part II



Fast-forward six years post Quaker and Calvary Chapel days. We were Anglicans, and very happy ones at that. Happy and content as we could be, or so we thought. I guess looking back I would have to say we had settled for Anglicanism as the last best thing. And there we were standing on the eve of coming to Orthodoxy, the levy was about to break and we were planning a picnic in the wash (hindsight is a wonderful thing).

While still resolutely Anglican, we (Sara and I) were attending Orthodox services when we could get away from St. Luke’s, reading books, and debating with friends. Sara and I would stay up late reading aloud to one another from Common Ground and other books. This time was often filled with dramatic pauses and sighs of fear and awe. This new picture being pieced together in our midst was blowing us away. We were discovering many facets of Orthodoxy that bade us to dig deeper, not just intellectually but in searching our hearts.

Orthodoxy was for me like an encounter with a lover that you continually find new and more intense intimacy with. I noticed that after each encounter, each liturgy the sweetness and connection grew. Like a good wine laid down, Orthodoxy was fermenting and growing more complex with each taste. As this went on, something else was occurring, the hymns, prayers and images were constantly running through my head. Driving around with Sara and we would break forth in the Troparia or Prokeimenon, driving alone, walking to class it was always with me calling me “further up and further in”. No matter where I was the liturgy was in my head calling me back. The brilliant aspect of this was, it didn’t matter where or what I was doing, including sinning! I was only observing and the intensity even on the sidelines was transforming.

Part III coming soon.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?