<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Ten Things That Drew Me to Orthodoxy:
10) Orthodoxy: A faith that one can be consumed by. Part I


Disclaimer: This list is a compiling of things that stood out to me in Eastern Orthodoxy, that were either; viewed as “unbiblical”; seldom mentioned; never emphasized; or just plain ignored by the various denominations (or “non-denominational” denominations) I’ve been a part of. Lastly, they are not listed in order of importance or any order for that matter.

Growing up in the late 70's early 80's listening to Keith Green, Petra and others from the Maranatha genre, I was exhorted to live as a Christian and give my whole life to Christ, not just Wednesday and Sunday but everyday and every part should be given wholly to God. Seems like a good solid proposition. Well as the adage goes, it is truly easier said than done. Not only was this difficult given my own spiritual disposition, but the Evangelical paradigm at that time was rather limited given its rejection of anything that resembled ritual tradition or Catholicism.

Enter “Quiet Time”: A special time usually comprised of time alone for prayer and Bible reading and varied levels of “listening to God” (depending on your particular level of charisma). An individual may add his or her own creative touches to this time of Bible reading and prayer, but essentially this is “Quiet Time”. After a session of “Quiet Time”, I may have felt really “thoughtful” but it never stayed with me, which was very frustrating to say the least. I’m not blaming “Quiet Time” for this, it may have been the poor disposition of my soul, but I needed something, anything to steer me through the narrow gate, and my thirst for connection and transformation sent me on a quest for a deeper well.

Part II Coming Soon

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?