<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 24, 2006

Holy and Great Lent

The time is drawing near. Already a friend told me jokingly, "It doesn't seem fair that we have to observe the Wednesday/Friday fast when meatfare is next week." Never the less the temples and priests will soon be robed in purple, the censers will swing silently, their cheerful bells squelched, and the people will all sit down and lament by the waters of Babylon. Far from home, in exile, and enslaved we will remember and we will long for our true home. Together the whole Church will undertake this long journey of repentance. God willing we will arrive to witness together the resurrection of Christ and the conquering of death by death.

Bonus- Lent is taken from the Anglo-Saxon word Lencten which means spring. Also, the title Great Lent is used to distinguish it from Winter Lent or Advent.

Extra Credit- What is everyone reading for the season?

Comments:
I've often thought that lentils should be etymologically (is that right?) linked to Lent, but I don't believe it's the case - I think they are linked to lens.

I am becoming aware this week of leaning into Lent, really getting into the "Pre-Lenten" feelings.
 
Hello boss. It's been a while. I really enjoyed this post, it was enlightening. As for what I'm reading. I'm going to start Great Lent by Schmemann...
 
I don't know what I am going to read during Great Lent yet...

There was some reading I wanted to do before Lent starts, that I may not necessarily read during Lent (does that make sense?) But do not know if that will get accomplished or not.

Last year I had intended to read "The Law of God," even had it figured out how many pages a day I needed to read-- but I didn't finish it. Perhaps I should pick up where I left off last year?
 
Thomas...what a surprise,we're reading Great Lent in our Sunday night group.

Papa, I'm not familiar with that text, though i see it is published by HTM. Speaking of HTM we've just put The Arena on hold so we could read Great Lent from Schmemann. What can i say about The Arena...Father Hopko recommends that priests read it every month...so i'd say read it every other month for laity.

Looking forward to Schmemann's book as much as i look forward to getting back into The Arena.
 
I read "Great Lent" by Fr. Schmemann just before Lent last year--I found it very helpful and a good way to enter Lent.
 
Way of the Ascetics is GREAT! I'm currently halfway done with that. I have to read that one VERY VERY slowly.
 
Hi everyone...my name is Dawn and i'm currently reading 2300 books.

Wow.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?