<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Birds of Faith

The Dove, Eagle, Sparrow, Pelican, and Peacock have all been found in the pages of Christian symbolism. The dove one quickly places at Noah's ark with the olive branch in its mouth. The eagle being analogous to those who placing their hope in God ascend the heights. However, in my mind and in the minds of many, the Phoenix stands out as a powerful and rich symbol, encompassing our central hope as Christians.

Please see the Scrivner's excellent post on this bird of lore.

Comments:
Pelicans for me please. This next Sunday my Great Aunt is having her 88th birthday party. I will be MIA for another week :-( Please let everyone know that I wish I could be with the group on the last weekend before Holy Week! The time is near! I can see the light now!
 
Thomas, I don't think anyone will be there as it is Bridegroom Matins that night for us.

We'll miss you all the same.
 
I'm with Thomas, I like the Pelicans as well.

Although my favorite is and always will be doves.
 
I like doves until I found out they were white pidgeons. don't ask me why I don't like pidgeons. it's not rational.

hens are not mentioned. and this is perhaps my favourite 'avian allusion': "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem ... how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"

It's one of the rare moments when Christ God is so maternal, and I find it so touching. Gentleness and strength coexisting. It's a powerful image.
 
Victoria,

I am so with you on the pigeon thing. Pigeons in many metropolitan areas are worse than rats.

And the hens, I totally neglected that most excellent of allusions. Mea Culpa.
 
Yeah, but I like squirrels but not rats; I can like doves but not pigeons.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?