<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wiki Wiki

Okay, for good or for bad, I admit that I go to Wikipedia several times each day to look up information on innumerable topics including this list from the last 3 days:

Peter Singer
Modus Ponens (I'm very forgetful)
Modus Tollens
ADD
VVT-i
Cromwell
Kaffir
Kaffir Lime
Honda Oddyssey
The Great Ejection
Git (sad, I know)
Blood Orange
The Water Boys
Mike Scott
Jeremy Bentham
John Stewart Mill
Minyan
Quorum
Sacrum

For the majority of these searches I was interested in the history, context, background, and back-story behind these men, trees, mental disorders, mini-vans, Yiddish terms, and anatomical features. That's the draw for me, to know just a little bit more.

Today, I came across this short article from Pew that really floored me.

So, I'm curious, any Wikipedia scoffers reading out there? Speak up, I'm interested in what critiques are being volleyed back and forth.



Comments:
Wikipedia is an irresistable whore. I visit her all too frequently, though I know she is not always true and has many lovers.
 
Ummm, if that was too graphic, I'm sorry...
 
Ha! Actually, I was originally going to refer to myself as a whore for wikipedia but alas refrained.
 
hey, I wouldn't exactly call myself a wiki-w---e, ;), but I am a believer, nonetheless.
That link you provided on my site, on the Haida, I went to the article, and lo and behold, under the heading "Notable Haidas", I found 4 people I'm related to! So cool. Florence Davidson, my great-grandmother (my maternal grandfather's mother), and all the other Davidson's and Edenshaw's.
trippy. and cool.
 
i too enjoy the wikipedia...

and if the saying "imitation is the highest form of flattery" has any truth to it, then all of the assorted wiki-spinoffs are evidence that we are not alone in our appreciation of wikipedia.
 
i'm a whore for wiki!
 
compassion international
gypsy
jaroslav pelikan
kerri russell
kinetic energy
macarius
man man
marie antoinette
pan's labyrinth
rooney
steve jobs
telemedicine
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?