<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 27, 2007

Double Dee-lite Yum-Time Yumminess!

It's Friday and for the O-dox it has it's own special meaning. Bi-weekly vegan warriors, unite! So, you might say, "Get to the Yum-time yumminess, lord of the foolhearty!" Well here it is, my controversial recommendation for good eating today, a spaghetti sandwich. Now, I know what some of you may be asking, "Starch on starch, are you serious??" Well, duh, why else would I call it Double Dee-lite, if not for goodness to be found when you put your bread and pasta together in one over-sized bite? Here's my recipe:

Large sourdough roll or kaiser bun, toasted, and spread with Earth Balance or it's equivalent.

Spaghetti, spaghettini, or angel hair with chunky red sauce thoroughly mixed in.

Serve open face with a bed of pasta on each half of the bread about 3/4 of an inch thick.

Lastly, this is all about the texture, much of which you'll miss out on if you use utensils, so no fork or knife allowed.

Enjoy with plenty of napkins at the ready.

*Author's note, my wife loathes this recipe, please don't blame her if you find it unappealing.

**Also, I neglected to mention my favorite topping to really make this dirty is Sriracha.

Comments:
Whoa. Sounds pretty good, but after that sandwich I'd probably need a long nap.

Do you and Sara ever put soy crumbles in your spaghetti? It's a nice source of protein without changing the taste of the spaghetti too much.
 
Hum. I may be with Sara on this.
 
seriously. that's awesome. i usually do it with my garlic bread. but, the sriracha, that's a bit much for me.

-thomas ham
 
Sorry brother... just give me some soy fauxballs w/ sauce on bread and I will call that good!
 
Yeah. That's gross, dude.
 
Disgusting.

But, Jason has totally done this. And, what's even more gross, is the spaghetti taco. Yes.
Spaghetti. Taco.
 
Disgusting? Gross? Ha ha! I had expected this reaction from some, but I don't think I understand it. Is it not quite common to serve bread along with pasta? Any Italian restaurant you go to will do this. In fact, it is because of this tradition that I discovered the "spaghetti sandwich". The only thing that I'm proposing is the pursuit of a more interesting texture, of a food grouping already in existence. So, instead of taking a bite of pasta and then taking a bite of bread, you combine them into one bite. What's so gross and disgusting about that?

Also, I need to be clear that I am not advocating the eating of this delight in any normal, public establishment. It seems impossible to eat without looking like a clown.

Regarding the spaghetti taco, I could see doing a spaghetti burrito, but the corn of the taco shell would be too much of a contrast.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?